Thursday, May 3, 2012

Advanced Clustering

This is another subject that I feel uncomfortable teaching-maybe that's why this is free!!  I am still learning and expanding my skills as I go, so I will just share what I do, but know that I don't think I'm an expert-not by a long shot!!

Clustering is all about layers, but it is also about balance.  I love to work in 3's when I'm clustering, but even if I do more than 3, I keep it at an odd number!  I know there is design knowledge to back this up, but I can't quote it so I just keep it odd!

I like to build from the bottom up.  I love us use paint splatters, grunge pieces, glitter or bead sprays as my foundation.  Then I like to add stitching or paper I can stitch down to my paper. I also like to scrap with greenery a lot and add those for clusters. By using either the same one but in different sizes or even several different types.

I also like to use journal mats and tags, even if just a corner is sticking out.  It gives dimension and depth!  And when you think you have clustered enough-add three more elements (that is a tip from Kayla--keepscrappin designs)  And she is so right!  You really can't overdo it!

Here is an example of a cluster I made and sell, just as the cluster:


I have the 3 leaves-at different sizes and angles.  Three flowers-even though two of them are stacked.  3 metal elements and then 1 of everything else.  And in all honesty, more could easily be added to this!  Clustering is so fun and a great way to make your layout stand out!

1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for this tutorial. I'm HORRIBLE at clusters and always feel like I've either put in to much or have it at the wrong angle.

    ReplyDelete