Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stringing an element

This is a fun little trick to do when scrapping!  It helps to give a more realistic feel to your page.  Let's pretend that you have a string that you want to be mostly under your stuff, but over other parts-as if it is strung throughout the elements.  This tutorial will show how to get that affect!

First open up your layout and cluster some of your elements together like this:


Now, let's add a curly ribbon and sort of weave it through the elements:

I'll start by placing it on top of everything, but as I looked at it more I realized that I wanted it under the top few layers of cluster but ontop of the pink ribbon, so I moved it there.


Now, pick out which sections you want to be under the cluster and use the polygonal lasso tool (left side of the tool bar with the round rope thing.  Right click on it and choose the second option).  This tool lets you click on one edge and make other clicks around the item of what you want to delete.  You'll want to scan way in for this so that you can get it pretty exact:


See the little section that I went around? Now always make sure that the layer of the ribbon is the layer you have highlighted in your layer palette.  Then click delete:


I think I want to take one more section out and notice how I changed the opacity of the string to about 50 so I could see the ribbon underneath and get a better cut:


Just change the opacity back, after you've cut out the section and you're all finished!  Notice how it looks like you wrapped the curly ribbon around the pink ribbon?




No comments:

Post a Comment