Thursday, April 19, 2012

UnZipping Files

One of the first and most important things to learn when starting with digital scrapping is how to zip and unzip files.  Whenever you buy a kit or template pack, the graphics are zipped up in a folder.  You will download them to your computer hard drive and they will look like this:

Most of the files above are unzipped and the one at the bottom is zipped.  There are two ways that I unzip my files.  If I just have one, then I right click on the folder itself and choose "Extract All".  Afterwards, I delete the zipped one.

But usually a kit will have 3 to 4 zipped files and I hate having to wait for each to unzip.  I did it that way for far too long!  Then I discovered a wonderful free program called Extract Now.  Love it!

Go HERE to download the program.

Once you have it downloaded, it should show up as an option under your program files.  Open up the files you want to unzip and then using the start button, find Extract Now under your programs and open it.  Simply slide all of your files into the box:

Literally, just drag and drop!

Next, there are a few settings you'll want to set up in the beginning, but then they'll be there for the rest of the time.  So click on the little button in the bottom left corner that says settings.  From there, choose destination from the top menu:


I click on the box to open the files where they are.   What I usually do is cut and paste my zipped up files from my download box to whatever folder I want them organized in. That way I can just have them opened there and not have to change the setting each time to direct them to where I want them-but either way works.

The next setting is the one that says "post extraction".  Click the boxes I show below and once the files have been unzipped, they will automatically be deleted (the zipped ones!).  It helps to keep your files clean and not overcrowded!


Now just click okay and hit Extract and you're done! Your files are ready to scrap with!

No comments:

Post a Comment